How do I remove an incorrect payment remark or correct other information?

If you believe that the information in the credit report is incorrect, you can contact Valitive’s investigation department via e-mail Attach the documentation that proves the information you want to change.

In order to assess whether a statement is incorrect or misleading, you must start at the time when the remark or information was added. We start from the Data Inspectorate’s instructions when deciding whether a piece of information is incorrect or misleading.

To find out more about when a payment remark is considered misleading, we refer to Datainspektionen’s website